Saturday, November 13, 2010

Black and White Doodles

Photo by me.

I live for Saturday mornings, and as this happens to be one that I'm off, I'm in bliss. The photo above was taken on a recent bright Saturday morning. That day, the light streaming in from my front-door port window was a perfect golden and I had to capture it. And, yes, those are my white, scrawny legs.

There is something about extreme contrast between near black hues and light colors that I'm drawn to. So that would explain my latest ambitious art project, below. It's quite a departure from the bright colors I often paint with.


Friday night I had the urge to get creative. Ideas stewed in mind during my 45-minute commute home, so I started working almost immediately after arriving. I painted a large canvas blue-black -- a better shade than plain black -- as it offers more depth and interest.

First I planned to paint white text in a fun font, but the design wasn't inspiring. That's when decided to freehand doodle over the entire thing. It will likely take for-ev-er to finish, but I'm overwhelmingly inspired by this project and can see an entire series of these with variations taking shape in my mind.

My inspirations for this painting were as follows:
♥ Illustration
White chalk marks against black slate
Rooms painted in blue-black
♥ The thought of having to move into a white-walled rental in Austin
♥ The contrast of lace against black or gray fabric
♥Anthropologie's window paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment