Monday, October 18, 2010

A Secret Garden: Junkyard Chic Style


On most days Trey and I take walks in our neighborhood. Cool weather on Sunday morning enticed us out for a stroll, but we were immediately sidetracked by a neighbor's yard sale. And this wasn't just any neighbor. The house is three doors from ours. It has always intrigued me because it has this junkyard chic quality, making me wonder what was beyond the front yard.


Finally, I found out. It's like a secret garden, except with a lot of junk, but that's part of the charm. There is a pergola in the middle of the yard with two facing seats. Above them is this chandelier, festooned in Mardi Gras beads and whatnot.


The yard has three sheds that are outfitted as tiny junk shops. The homeowner regularly sells things from these backyard huts. She puts hand-painted signs in the yard, signaling a sale day. How I've missed this for the past three years I've lived here, I don't know.


The homeowner had lit scented candles in jars scattered around her yard. It smelled like confectioner's heaven. Each shed had a rug placed inside and glass jars stuffed with Christmas lights. It was all so very cozy.


When I told Trey I wanted to rummage for treasures at the yard sale, he was dubious. I don't really "shop," you know. But I knew exactly what I wanted. We've been talking about getting a blender for months after ours broke, and guess what I found? Yep, a blender -- albeit a very old one. It was four bucks, and I bet it will work for years, unlike the $50 ones we keep buying that break every year. We'll have breakfast smoothies for days.


And the blender isn't all that I found. Inside this shed, in the corner where you see the clothing, I found the most lovely dress in my size. Score! I bought it. It's the perfect cut for my shape, cost me $3 and is in perfect condition. How lucky can you get? 

After wandering around the lady's yard for I bit I've decided that I would very much like to have a secret garden of my own one day. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment