Sunday, October 17, 2010

Completed Painting


I don't know when or how it happened, but suddenly I've been overcome with the need to make art. I used to do this when I was a little girl. I would complete several  small paintings in a day sometimes. And while I painted and drew a lot as a teenager, it was only to solidify a persona I'd fallen into -- Monica -- the artist. After taking "scholastic" talented art classes from ninth-12th grade and into college, I lost my love for it. I was taught the "proper" way to draw and paint. If it wasn't academic, then it wasn't good art. It stifled my creativity and sense of freedom. 


This is the second painting I've finished in the past month, and I began another immediately when I finished this one. I'm done with conform to other people's standards about what art is. From now on I plan to make art only for the pleasure of it. I don't care if no one else likes it. If it makes me happy then it has served its purpose.

Photo of me in the process of painting the latest.


No comments:

Post a Comment