Saturday, October 2, 2010

Art and Lies

 The guy who walked into this photo is a ceramics teacher. I took his class years ago.
Small town -- maybe too small.

Last night I passed on going to Artoberfest in Ruston, the city where I work, for a fashion show, live music and art event in the city where I live. I invited my new gal pal Laura, who brought her dad (pictured below) who was in town from Nashville for the night.


I thought for sure this event would trump the two free tickets I was given to Artoberfest where there was an 80s hair metal tribute band complete with a laser-light show and fog machine. Wrong! So wrong.


While "The Palace," as the downtown building is deceptively named, housed creative art and overpriced T-shirts ($58?!) dubbed "fashion," the event didn't live up to it's promise. Oh, no. The event in my hometown turned out to be an undercover revival. It was so well marketed, and they had us completely fooled for the first five minutes. I was rather irked by being duped into attending a come to Jesus meeting, and Laura is an atheist, so, obviously, we left early.


In any case, I took a lot of photos of The Palace, which is my dream version of an art space. There were also the most delectable mini cupcakes with sparkly icing toppings. So that sort of made up for it.


I thought this was a nice corner of the studio. The whole time I was in "The Palace," I fantasized about what I'd do with it if it were my place. This would be the area where I'd have client consultations about the art they commissioned me for.


This light bulb chandelier looked homemade and is so very Anthropologie but for a fraction of the cost, I imagine. Very crafty.


This sign, a nice touch, was placed outside of The Palace. It reminds me of stepping into a coffee shop in SOLA.


A band played, the last of five, while we were there. As it turned out, I actually knew the guitarist. Several years ago we painted a huge mural together in the city when I moved back from South Louisiana.

More photos to come, but this time they will be of the fair ...

No comments:

Post a Comment