Monday, October 25, 2010

Inspirations: Cake and Cupcake Paintings

Wayne Thiebaud 


I started two confectionery paintings in the past couple of weeks. One day, while working with my friend Mary Drew in her studio, I painted myself into a corner. I was frustrated and didn't know where to go with my work next. She showed me Wayne Thiebaud's paintings, and now I'm obsessed with his work. While I didn't take my painting in the same direction as his with the rows of cakes, etc., I'm happy to say that I did paint myself out of that corner.


 Photo found online. Source unknown to me.

The above image reminds me of Thiebaud's paintings and is so completely inspiring. I found a blog post about a bride and groom in northern California that had replicas of Thiebaud's cakes baked for their wedding. You have to see this. It's too tasty looking. I think I was drawn to painting confections recently because not only do I gravitate toward bright, bold colors, but I've been refraining from eating sugar lately. So instead I've been viewing, painting and thinking about sweets while I burn a sugary smelling candle. I'm sure it sounds torturous, but it works for me.


I recently discovered Thaneeya McArdle's work. Gorgeous and perfect.



The visible brush strokes and texture in this painting make it all the more appealing. I couldn't find the name of the artist. If you know it, do let me know, and I'll add it.

Photo by Craig Stephens

Again, the texture and visible brush strokes attract me to this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment